Built in the late 1800's, the Blue Heron is a beautiful, rustic restored tavern. The redwood finished dinning room features beef, chicken, the seafood we're famous for and vegetarian dishes. In the tavern the full menu is served including hearty pub food, beer, local wines and liquor. In the summer barbecued oysters by 'What the Shuck' are served on the outdoor garden patio on Sundays, along with live music
Duncans Mills was once part of the large Don Muniz Mexican Land Grant. Founded in the 1870s Duncans Mills was named for two brothers, Samuel and Alexander Duncan who established a lumber mill in 1877. They logged the redwoods which were sent to build the growing city of San Francisco. Duncans Mills was decimated during the Great Quake of 1906, but was rebuilt. It featured two hotels, a general store, a saloon, a meat market, blacksmith, livery stable and a notion shop.
The North Pacific Coast Railroad ran through Duncans Mills to Sausalito. Travelers rode the train to Duncans Mills to fish, picnic and enjoy the Russian River. The railroad unfortunately gave way to cars and ceased operations in the 1930s. The town slowly faded, until a 1976 restoration project, associated with the celebration of the U.S. Bicentennial, which brought about a period of building restoration and business revitalization.